Beaten by a Length (BBL) Matched Betting Guide
Reading time: 3 minutes
The Beaten by a Length matched betting promotion is a relatively simple and great option to include in the horse racing matched betting promotions you run.
If the horse you have bet on (your qualifying bet)* is beaten by a length or less in a selected meeting, you get a free bet award (often your stake back as a free bet of up to £10).
The exact details depend on the bookmaker, with Jenningsbet and Coral currently running the promotion (see below) – as of May 2022.
In a similar way to other offers like Extra Places and 2up – Early Payout (and the Bore Draw offer), you won’t hit each time, so it’s vital to keep qualifying losses low and ensure that you have the implied odds in your favour (as you do with extra places). Most horse races will end up with the front running horse quite a long way ahead of everyone’s other horse, so this is important.
Run the offer quite soon before relevant races; when you can often place your back and lay bets with only a minimal qualifying loss. The fewer riders, the better, with the greater chance of a bunching up at the finishing line!
See below for a further summary of the Beaten by a length matched betting offer, with some helpful key tips as well as on how to find out about each bookmaker offer in more detail.
*For Jenningsbet your horse must finish in the 2nd position to qualify, whereas for Coral, it doesn’t matter which position your qualifying (horse) selection finishes in. Regardless of position, if the horse is beaten within a length of the winner, it will qualify for Beaten by a Length.
Coral runs their Coral Beaten by a Length promotion offering a free bet of up to £10, this is if your horse is beaten by a length or less in any race at the selected meeting each day. To qualify, you need to place £1+ on the win, or each way (single) from 8 am on the race day.
Jenningsbet is also a key bookmaker for the promotion, with a free bet of up to £10 available.
Beaten By a Length (BBL) - Summary and Tips
Beaten by a length matched betting is a relatively easy promotion to get a handle on once you are up to speed.
BBL is essentially a simple refund offer, and it is usually best placed on the favourite or second favourite.
- We can achieve minimal qualifying losses by placing our back and lay bets close to the time of the race (as the odds narrow) on these horses. Once the close odds materialise, place your back and lay odds in the usual fashion. It may also be easier to compare back and lay odds alongside a calculator rather than using your matched betting service’s oddsmatcher.
- The offer pays out if your horse is beaten by a length or less. In a tight finish, this can quite often be the case. With Jenningsbet, your horse must finish in second place, whereas with Coral, the place does not matter (your horse must finish within a length of the winner though – therefore, places further down our less likely to payout). You tend to receive up to £10 back in free bets on this promotion (check the bookmaker to be sure).
- Check your bookmaker for which races the promotion is running on (for example, it may be ITV races that day only). TV races will also likely be good for account health, especially weekend meets.
- Place your BBL best after 11 am, and then you will also receive your “BOGs” – Best odds guaranteed!
- You obviously will not complete the offer each time, but if you keep qualifying losses low, then even if you only hit once every 15-20 times, you would still be in profit (though you are much more likely to catch a BBL more frequently than this, especially with Coral).
Beaten By A Length Matched Betting - Terms and Conditions and Current Promotions
See below for links to full details of the offers.
Key factors are that Jenningsbet requires your horse to finish in second place (unlike Coral) and also a minimum of five runners in the race.
- Jenningsbet Beaten by a Length full terms and conditions
- Coral Beaten by a Length Promotion – full terms and Conditions
Earn Extra Income - Access our Free Resources to Learn Matched Betting Easily
Preparing for Horse Racing Matched Betting
If you haven’t done so already, then follow these essential steps to get started with horse racing matched betting:
- Sign up for Profit Accumulator, OddsMonkey, or Profit Squirrel now.
- Familiarise yourself with your oddsmatcher and if possible try some practice each way horse racing matched bets.
OddsMonkey has a fantastic extra places matcher which is really helpful.
Matchedbettingfaqs.com has further help on getting started with matched betting; this includes beginner’s guides, tips and advice posts and advanced strategy guides.
We also review the best matched betting sites. There is also a free email matched betting course for beginners (see box below).
- To join OUTPLAYED.com (previously Profit Accumulator), click here (trial available).
- To join OddsMonkey, click here (trial available).
- To join Profit Squirrel, click here (trial available).
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more help.